Saturday, February 11, 2006

Me v. Citibank, episode 1

Larry,

What's up, doggy? I know that I've been inundating you with letters lately. I'm sorry but I think that you'll enjoy this exchange that I had with Citibank a while back regarding my credit card and our little game of chicken. I don't think that you need too much background but to get you caught up, here's what happened. I transferred a balance to my Citibank Visa card because they offered 0% interest for 6 months. I love no interest. So, I transferred the balance. However, I wanted to pay online so I signed up for online billing. I thought that it would take 3-5 days but it took much longer. Subsequently, I made a payment late. They proceeded to yank the no-interest terms. This is what happened (via email):

Late Payment 08/09/05 11:37:31 PM 1 of 1
You wrote:
Hello, do you think that you might forgive the late payment fee for me this one time? I have recently moved and am not receiving my mail in a timely manner. Also, the post office has given me some bad information concerning my zip code. In addition, I have been trying to pay my bill online since the 3rd and I am still unable to do so. It would mean a lot to me. What do you say? You're the best!
Paul Little

Re: Late Payment 08/09/05 11:50:34 PM 1 of 1
Customer Service Wrote:
As a goodwill gesture, we have credited your account $39.00 for the late fee assessed. This credit should appear on your account within two business days. We must receive your payments by the due date in order to avoid late fees in the future.
Please reply to this message with your new address and/or phone number, and we will be happy to update your account with the new information.
We investigated your inquiry and our records indicate that statements were mailed to you each month. We cannot determine a reason for the delay. If this continues, please contact your local post office to resolve this problem.
Thank you for using our website.

RE: Late Payment 08/10/05 12:33:52 AM 1 of 1
You wrote:
Thank you, Citibank. As soon as I can pay online, I will do so. And it will be so much more than the minimum payment. I think that you will be very proud of me. I will not soon forget your generosity. I will update my profile as per your instructions. Thanks again, Paul Little

Customer Service Wrote:
Thank you for using our website.

No comments: